MS51 Crown Build Update
The MS51 Crown has been moving along nicely. I haven’t posted enough about though. I started a build thread at the Japanese Nostalgic Car Forum, this is mostly the same information you’ll find there.
If this is your first time reading about the Crown, here’s some background. It’s a 1970 MS51 Toyopet Crown. It’s fairly rare as it’s a Super Deluxe model coupe. As soon as I saw it, I knew we had to have it. Those giant front headlights were just so different from your typical classic car you see here. It’s in fairly good shape overall. Unfortunately we bought it as a runner, but it never ran once it got here. The engine was so full of sludge I had to dig out gobs of gunk just to find where the oil drain passages were in the head. We tried to revive it, but it was too far gone, and I wasn’t able to get the oil flowing again. At that point we decided to yank out the old 2m and put in something a little more interesting….a 2JZGE with a triple Weber setup.
We previously lived in LA, but have relocated to Kentucky to start our business. I trailered the Crown across the country, and the reaction the car got was amazing. The old guys loved it, they didn’t know what it was, but they loved it. That was the most surprising to me.
After we got it here to Kentucky we got to work. Please excuse the messy shop, we’re also simultaneously trying to fix up a vintage ’50s service station to operate out of.
I modified the stock 2JZ lower intake manifold to accept the Weber flanges. The port spacing on the 2JZ is almost exactly the same as the throat spacing on the Webers. You can see where the outermost intake runners needed to be straightened out to realign with the ports. The stock manifold has them sweep towards the center before connecting to the upper manifold.
We’re doing more than just the engine swap too. I’m also converting it to rack and pinion with a Daewoo Lanos rack. It’s a center pivot rack, so I made a new ‘drag link’ that attaches to the rack with a bracket. This allowed me to keep the steering geometry correct. Step one was to make this stand-in mock-up to verify my measurements. I welded a couple pieces of tubing to the chassis and uses a string to represent where the new ‘drag link’ needed to be located.
Here’s the new steering parts back from the machine shop. I think I might drill some ‘speed holes’ in it to lighten it up a bit. I think I went a little to far in the overkill this time…it’s really heavy, but it is a steering part. Can’t cut corners there.
This is the actual steering rack that that bracket bolts onto. It’s a center pivot, meaning the tie rods attach in the center rather than the ends. This one is from a Daewoo Lanos. I have to wonder what the guy at the junkyard in Europe thought as he packaged that up to be sent to the US…If you’re doing a rack swap on a LHD car, you can find this same rack in LHD form in many Saabs, Chevy Berettas, Corsica’s, and early 90’s Cavaliers. If RHD, you’ll be looking for a UK or Australian spec Daewoo Lanos. Not sure about where else it was used in RHD.
Here it is mounted on the engine with the new modified lower timing gear and sensor (note this picture is upside down). The trigger wheel is built into the lower timing gear. Stock it was a 36-2 wheel, now it’s a 36-1. I tig’d the two missing teeth on, then shaped them with a hand file. After getting everything set up, I cut off one tooth at the right point to work with the Ford EDIS parts. For a 6-cylinder application the missing tooth needs to pass the sensor 60° BTDC.
These are the EDIS components. I pulled them and the pigtails from a 90’s v6 Mustang. If you want the people at the junkyard to give you funny looks, go in and ask them if they have any 90’s v6 Fords, and if they have any Saabs Corsicas or Berettas…(I needed a bracket for the rack). Then when you come back to the office, ask them how much they want for the transmission out of the mkII Supra they have in the yard…they had no idea what I was working on…
This is the computer that will actually control the timing. It’s a Megajolt unit that with a TPS sensor will allow me to tune with a 3d timing curve. Without the sensor I can still set the timing curve based on RPM. The great thing about this system, if the Megajolt were to fail, the Ford parts default timing to a limp home mode of 10° BTDC. One of the many reasons using factory parts is awesome. Manufacturers pay a lot of money to design these parts, I try to use that whenever I can.
These are the fittings I need for my vacuum system. I’m going to tap the injector bungs on the manifold for these. I needed a place to pull vacuum from each runner, and I needed to plug those holes, these will solve both those problems. They’re 1/4 NPT to 1/4 push lock tubing swivels. I think they should make for a clean install. They’ll run to a custom reservoir. I decided to repurpose the old A/C drier into that.
And here is the finished manifold ready to mount up.
More updates soon! Follow us on Instgram for the most up to date photos!